Saturday, November 22, 2014

Thanksgiving Break!

It's here, it's here, it's here!!!

Oh thank you!!!!

The time has come for a quick break. Nursing school is over for a whole week. Can I get an AMEN!?

Thursday was our last day of class for a week and it couldn't have come soon enough.  We came together as a group to have a Thanksgiving meal just for the nursing group and teachers. It was fun to just take some time to relax, eat, and enjoy each other's company.

Thursday evening was also my first "clinical" experience in working a local clinic. After class, myself and a classmate went to work for 4 hours at the Live Oak Clinic here in town and it was a fantastic experience.

I worked with the "triage" nurse to take vitals, blood glucose, and A1C's on the patients we saw before they were sent to see the doctors. I was also able to watch the nurse educator teach some patients how to give themselves insulin as they would be receiving it for the very first time.

It wasn't really surprising to see that almost every patient we saw either had diabetes or COPD. It was a really great experience and was a low key way to get my feet wet directly with patients.

Our professors are also going to be hosting a Christmas party for the nursing students and their families after Thanksgiving. They challenged us to decorate our classroom. Um, challenge accepted. They told us they are expecting big things and that we have our work cut out for us. Well.....let's do this.

So I am currently working on a few things and several of us are meeting at the school on Monday (our day off) to start decorating. It should be really cute :)

On a not-so-happy front, my husband's grandmother is currently on hospice. While we are completely saddened by this, I am so glad that I am in nursing school so that I can be of some help to her and my family during this time. We were there tonight, and I will be going back tomorrow morning to help her with some of her personal care. It's made me a little bit mellow the last few days. Having seen several of my family members on hospice, I know what to expect. This is definitely an area of medicine that I want to pursue eventually once I graduate and get my license.

So that is my family in a nutshell over the last few weeks. A break for me, a break for my kids, family sadness, and the holidays are almost upon us. :) Hope you all have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment