Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Baby Einstein Debacle

Am I the only one that feels the rebate for Baby Einstein expectation is completely ridiculous? I used to let Caleb watch Baby Einstein in the wee hours of the morning when he would wake up. I would get up with him at 4 am, feed and change him, and put him in his bouncy to watch Baby Einstein while I napped on the couch. It was the only thing that would calm him down and it was so welcomed.

Did I think it was going to make him genius? No. Do I think that simply watching any TV show is going to raise your IQ points to amazing levels? No. TV shows and movies are not supposed to replace the interaction, education, and bonding that the parent is supposed to provide.

Don't let yourself feel jipped because your child is not a genius. Do not let your expectations for your children affect sound judgement. My child has Autism. Is he brilliant? Probably not. Is it because I thought Baby Einstein was going to make him a Rocket Scientist? Nope. My kid is what he is. If I want to help give him the best start possible, I have to work with him...not sit him in front of the TV with classical music and toys. Did it hurt him watching Baby Einstein? Nope. Am I going to get a refund? Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment