Monday, March 8, 2010

Inspiring words....

Since I was a child, I have always gravitated to the scripture written in Proverbs...31:30 to be exact. "Charm is deceptive and beauty is vain. But a woman who fears the Lord shall be praised." Everyone seems to have a favorite verse or quotation and this is definitely mine. But today I began to think about this verse and what it truly means. How often do I live as this verse suggests? The answer to me is painful to realize but necessary to admit. Not often. Not even close to often.

As I began to read Proverbs 31 as a grown woman, and no longer a youth, I am struck by how descriptive it is. It is very clear to me at this point in my life of how things should be. I am so often obsessed with my own individuality and stubborn independence, that I lose sight of the "plan". Of course, this is my personality, and aspects of it I love, however I want to be a better person. Over the course of the last 5 years, my family has leaned further and further away from our traditional upbringing. There are aspects of that upbringing that I would not change, and some that as a more aware adult, need changing.

That said, my new favorite verse is from the same chapter in Proverbs.
"She watches over the affairs of her house and does not eat the bread of idleness"
-Proverbs 31:27.
Now the women's liberation movement may feel that this is sexist, submissive, and inappropriate for today's Modern Woman. And they may be right for many women out there. For me, the best thing that came of the movement is the ability to choose. As thankful as I am for my college education that can open doors for me, I am just as thankful for the right to choose the path that is right for me as an individual. What is right for me is to be home with my children, nurturing them and being attentive, and managing our household. I feel peace in this.

Side note: I needed to use up some leftovers and threw together this dinner inspired by another blogger's recipe:
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 taco seasoning packet
1/2 can corn
1/2 can kidney beans
1/2 can refried beans
Brown the meat with the onion. Mix in taco seasoning, corn, and beans and heat through. Pour in an 8X8 baking dish. Cover with 5-6 uncooked biscuits and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes.

It was mighty tasty and mighty thrifty. This meal cost $3.70 to make, Josh and I ate it for dinner, Josh took a serving with him to work tonight, and there are two servings left for tomorrow. How awesome is that???? Watch out world....I am working on my wicked cooking skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment