Monday, August 26, 2013

Blinged out bottles

My best friend's birthday is this week so we celebrated this past weekend with a day of fun. 

Carmela's Forever 31 Birthday Bonanza!

The day was spent at the beach, the spa, the Texas Roadhouse for dinner, and private shopping at Maurices. Such fun times with wonderful ladies. 

Anyway, I love to create things and be a little crafty. Last week when Carmela was visiting me and telling me about her recent trip to Chicago, she mentioned this drink called Rum Chata. I had never heard of it but thought it would make a fun addition as a gift for her birthday. I had already ordered some Golden Girls lip balm off etsy (when she calls me, her ringtone is "Thank you for being a friend".)

Once I got to Specs to grab a bottle, I noticed that it was super boring. But it did have some pretty golden accents. So after a quick trip to Hobby Lobby for some rhinestones and glitter, I came home to bling out this bottle. 

This was easy, fun, and the decorative possibilities are endless. I chose to do something simple, but pretty. And if you want to do this as well...go for it! Here is how I made this one. 

First, I got all my supplies ready. I needed a paper bag to cover my counter, the bottle to decorate, Modge Podge, bottles of glitter, paper plates and a sponge brush, rhinestones, hot glue, and ribbon. 

Lightly brush one side of the bottle with MP using a sponge brush. Try to get it as even as possible so that they glitter doesn't get clumpy. 

Sprinkle with glitter. Repeat this process until the whole bottle is covered.

Let this dry for about 30 minutes or so.

Brush a coat of MP over the top of the glitter to seal it. I did three coats and waited about 20-30 minutes between each coat. It will look like it is covered in glue, but don't worry, it dries clear and will seal in all the glitter so it doesn't flake off. 

Decide where you want to put the rhinestones on and glue away!

Here is where I made my mistake. I used gold glitter ribbon to attach the baggie with the lip balm in it. The glitter from the ribbon flaked off and went everywhere! Beware when using glitter ribbon. Ugh.

So anyway, here is the finished product again. I thought it was really cute, and now no one else on earth will have a bottle exactly like hers :). 

I am glad we could all spend time together and I am super glad that our friend Jenny could make her a cake for our shopping event!






Thank you Jenny!!!!
Happy Birthday, Carmela!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment