Sunday, November 14, 2010

Surgery in progress

Wow! Today is the 4th day after having my Mommy Makeover and let me say...this was no joke. I am no stranger to having surgeries: two scoliosis related back surgeries, tonsils and adenoids removed, wisdom teeth removed, and a tubal...now add to that a tummy tuck, lipo, and breast augmentation.

Going in to this, I knew there would be pain. So Wednesday, I walked into the surgical suite a little nervous but overall excited for this opportunity. I had written down everything Josh needed to know about how to handle both house and kids, and went blissfully to sleep. It all happened so fast that I didn't have time to be nervous. A few hours later, Josh otook me home and gave me all my meds and for the next two days I drifted in and out of consciousness. When I got up to go to the restroom, I was greeted with the same pain that I felt with my spinal surgeries, only to a slightly different degree. I am wearing a compression sports bra, an abdominal binder, and thigh high compression stockings. Mummified.

Josh has been extremely wonderful. This attentive side is something that is new for me to see in him. He has slept on the couch, keeps snacks and drinks at my bedside table, sets the alarm for all my meds, helps me up and down, and has taken care of the boys and their extracurriculars. Such a blessing for him to be so supportive and helpful.

Today was the first day I got a good look at everything. And it looks grizzly. I got myself up and slowly started a morning shower, which took me an hour from start to finish. I pulled off all the binders and bandages and this will be a big scar. But my hernia has been repaired and even though everything is still bruised and swollen, my stomach is flat. The doctor said that he took 5 pounds of loose skin from my abdomen. That is incredible to me. My drains should be removed by Thursday, if not earlier, and honestly...that will be one of the biggest blessings. Everytime I move those drains pull against my skin.

Anyway, I am overall sore, sleepy, and yet encouraged. I can't wait to get back to a normal routine, play with my boys, put up the Christmas decor, start walking again, and buying a few new clothes. Laying in bed is frustrating..... Yay for new beginnings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment