Monday, July 9, 2012

Adventures in baking with a 7 and 9 year-old....

Happy National Sugar Cookie Day!!!!!!

In recognition of this wonderful holiday, we added baking to our schedule today! It's only 11:15 and we have gotten so much done today...on a Summer Monday. We woke up, had breakfast, took a quick swim in the pool in the back yard, I did 2 loads of laundry, Caleb has finished two 100 piece puzzles, and the boys have baked cookies.

This is the first time that they have made cookies from start to finish, completely alone. All I did was put them in the oven and take them out. I found a kid friendly recipe and printed it out for the kiddos. I just told them how to preheat the oven , spray the pan, find the ingredients, measure everything, mix everything according to the directions, spoon out the batter, and decorate.

It is so difficult to let them learn by making mistakes and creating a mess in the kitchen! I wanted to scream as Jansen was cracking the eggs and scooping out the shells!!!! Caleb almost made me dry heave when she was pouring sugar and missed the measuring cup all together. Ugh. But they did it!

I tasted one, and they weren't very tasty...but the boys think they are tasty so that's all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment