Friday, October 22, 2010

Bunco time!

Last night, I hosted Bunco at my home for 12 fun ladies. I love playing Bunco, and truly wish that I could make more time to play games (and indulge my inner child), but we are just too busy right now with the kids extracurriculars. So one day a month it is...and I will take it!

The menu of the night was chicken casserole, green salad, garlic bread sticks, and red velvet cupcakes.

These are cupcakes turned out sort of cute. They are red velvet with pink cream cheese icing. I also made the fondant dice, recipe at the end of this post, and desperately wanted to use edible markers to make the dots...to no avail. Procrastination is not my friend, because this week, no one in town had these markers. So I had a major MAKE IT WORK, Project Runway moment, and had to pipe tiny black dots on them. It turned out fine, and they were super tasty.

Fun times!

Now we are staring the Fall Festival right in the face. I will be decorating and setting up at the school all day, and tomorrow we will be ready to have fun. I am going to take the boys to play games and eat yummy food for the first hour, and then I will be working the Cake Walk for the second half of it. Caleb just wants to win a raffle basket :)

Marshmallow Fondant:
1.5 pounds of powdered sugar
1 bag of mini marshmallows
2 tbsp water
vegetable shortening

I used my Kitchenaid mixer (LOVE) so these directions will be according to it. You can knead it by hand, but trust me, you will want to use a stand mixer of some sort!!

Coat the inside of your bowl with shortening. Make sure you cover every part the attachment will cover, including your dough hook, because it will stick...BIG TIME. Microwave marshmallows and water for 1 minute. Stir before putting it into the mixer bowl and then add powdered sugar. Then turn on your mixer and leave it. That is the beauty of it. In a few minutes, you can take it out and knead it with bits of left over powdered sugar until you get a smooth, play dough type texture. Make sure you store it in an air tight container or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment