Thursday, October 7, 2010

Caleb's art project

Everyone knows that Caleb has Autism, but is pretty high functioning. Every month he gets better and better! He is such a blessing in our lives. :)

Anyway, yesterday was his turn to make his Fall Festival poster for school. He is not very creative and doesn't tend to think outside the box...that is just not his strength. But he said he wanted to make a pumpkin, and that is totally appropriate. I am really annoyed when parents do their children's projects, I mean, it is really obvious and doesn't do your child any favors. With Jansen, I just traced out the letters on his poster so he could trace them since he is learning to write. But Caleb....never needed that. He could read and write very well by the time he was 4. That was his thing.

So we talked about different ways to make a pumpkin, drawing one, using tissue paper, cutting it out of construction paper, tearing construction paper, etc. He loved the idea of tearing paper and yelled...."Like the Texas flag I made at school last year!" Yep, yep.

He sat at the table and I got all his supplies out, and said, "Go for it. Make whatever you want." He cut out a pumpkin template, and glued it on the poster board. He tore all the little pieces and started gluing. Seriously, it took him about an hour, but when he is into something, you won't hear from him until it is done. I wrote down on a piece of paper the wording that needed to be on it, and he started writing. Once he finished I asked him if he was happy with it, and he said yes. I asked if he wanted to add anything, and he said nope and then asked for me to take his picture. So I did.

He seems to be proud of it, and so I am proud of him!

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome poster!!! I love the thought that went into it and that the words aren't the focal point, that great pumpkin is!!!! :D Awesome job, Calebs!

    And, I too, dislike it when parents do their kids' art projects! LOL

    ReplyDelete