Friday, August 13, 2010

Ode to Craig's List

Dear Craig's List, I love you. You are slowly but surely helping me achieve my dream of a Pottery Barn style home on a Generic Grocery Store Brand Beer budget. Thank you for the service you provide. Love, Amber.

Tell me, don't you love Pottery Barn? Who doesn't love Pottery Barn? Now tell me this...who loves Pottery Barn prices? Not me! Not a chance. There is just no way that this one-income family of 4 could possibly afford the gorgeous decor that gives me such a high as I look through its glossy pages.

Little by little, I am trying to transform each room of our house into my version of a Pottery Barn catalog room. Of course, I don't want each room to look EXACTLY like the catalog, but I do want to achieve the overall feel...the essence if you will...

Originally when we moved into our home 3 years ago, we purchased an inexpensive and small dining table from a local furniture chain. I believe that it cost $259 for the whole set. The hubs and I agreed that with a then 2 and 4 year old (BOYS), we could not justify purchasing our dream furniture, because, as anyone that has has boys can attest, boys can be destructive. One year later, the top is covered in scrapes and scratches from who knows what. We didn't have a rug either, because spills abound at the table. Now that they are a little older, 5 and 7, it is time to search for a rug.

Having flipped through the pages of PB, I found several rugs that would be beautiful, but not one that I thought was graphic enough. Here is the rug I have been pining over and wishing that it came in a slightly darker color. Beautiful lattice pattern, but a whopping $379 plus shipping for the size we need. AGH!
SOURCE

Hello my love...the dining dream

While perusing Craig's List, I found this PERFECT rug....like, PERFECT in Houston. Did I mention it was PERFECT???

Long story short....$125 listed rug, purchased for $60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before
And After

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! Craigslist is awesome.

    Pottery Barn does have an outlet in San Marcos that has some FANTASTIC deals, in case you really fall in love with something specific. I got a screamin deal on our rug there when they were having a sale- $900 marked down to $150.

    ReplyDelete