Saturday, April 16, 2011

Strawberry pickin'

Yesterday my friend, Angie and I took our kids on a 30 minute drive to a local farm to pick strawberries. I know that many of you out there in Blog-land live in areas that are rich in farms and farmers markets. We don't. We live on the Gulf Coast...rich in hurricanes, mosquitos, and humidity. Welcome to Texas! But anyway, the two of us kept commenting on how fun this was, not only for our kids, but for us as adults. The kids were running up and down all the rows trying to find the reddest, juiciest, most perfect strawberries to fill their buckets. Now I am working on the list of things we can do with all these gorgeous berries.

  • This morning we had peanut butter toast and fresh strawberries

  • I have a pound cake in the oven right now to be topped with a fresh strawberry glaze

  • There is a tray full of strawberries in the freezer

  • And I still have a bucket left waiting to be washed and planned for













2 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! I bet the kids enjoyed running freely through the fields! We love strawberries in my family too, especially Strawberry Shortcake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! I am jealous it's already strawberry season there! If I had a whole bucket to spare I would can some strawberry jelly, but if you dont want to go thru all that trouble freezer jam is REALLY easy to make and it would be great to have it, PLUS it makes a wonderful addition between layer cakes or added to buttercream! ;)

    ReplyDelete